SELF-IMPROVEMENT

50 Questions To Completely Free Your Mind

First of all, what does freeing your mind means to you?

After answering that questions you can conclude many things. Is it freeing yourself from the material, or something scraping your soul from your past? Free state of mind is crucial in the world today just because the system is made to chunk it.

Although there are many self-helping therapies to free your mind, these questions will spread your mind in endless dimensions. I dare you to answer them, no matter how long it will take you.

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?

11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire.  They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend.  The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.  What do you do?

12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?

13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to do?  What’s holding you back?

18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once?  Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?

21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

22. Why are you, you?

23. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

24. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?

25. What are you most grateful for?

26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?

27. Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

28. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset?  Does it really matter now?

30. What is your happiest childhood memory?  What makes it so special?

31. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?

32. If not now, then when?

33. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

34. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

35. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?

36. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

37. If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

38. Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?

39. Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

40. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

41. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?

42. Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?

43. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

44. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?

45. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

46. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?

47. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?

48. What do you love?  Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?

49. In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday?  What about the day before that?  Or the day before that?

50. Decisions are being made right now.  The question is:  Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?

1. Daniel Lockwood

June 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

30.

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Never trying; Living with regret over those things we might have
    done is cancerous.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like
    and like so many things we don’t do?

Because we are convinced fear is something to avoid walking
    through.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than
    you’ve done?

I will have done everything I’ve said…… it will be 50/50

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the
    world?

Teach the planet that life need not be difficult.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would
    make you rich?

Public speaking.

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what
    you are doing?

Like I said, I have no regrets. I follow my principles and values
    and actually have two lists written down.

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live
    your life differently?

I keep saying this; I have no regrets.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your
    life has taken?

I steer and maintain my ship, but I cannot control the wind or
    current.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the
    right things?

I have no need to be right, but I am interested in the right
    outcome.

11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and
    admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing
    she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.
    What do you do?

Defend, defend, defend……even if it is someone I don’t like.

12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice,
    what would it be?

If you want to truly be a rebel just follow all the “rules” because no one does.

13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

Dumb question, depends on the law, and what exactly would I be saving those I love from?

14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

Van Gogh

15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

I enjoy driving.

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone
    happy?

Things don’t make us happy, actions and emotions do and those ARE all the same. There is indeed a secret to happiness and it’s really simple. There is an essay in my book coming out soon about this.

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to
    do? What’s holding you back?

Again; no regrets here.

18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

I practice forgiveness, both for others and myself, so, no.

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you
    currently live in, where would you move and why?

Hmm, people say“If you don’t like the heat, get out of the kitchen.”This is a crap philosophy. I say “If you don’t like the heat turn off the stove and open a window.” We have the power to change our environment rather than be forced from it.

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you
    really believe it makes the elevator faster?

Never.

21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

I do not play this game.

22. Why are you, you?

The universe has intended me; I do not question my existence, there’s no need. I simply move through it.

23. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

Since I don’t judge my friends I suppose so.

24. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch
    with a good friend who lives right near you?

Losing touch with someone is a choice, when a friend moves, it isn’t.

25. What are you most grateful for?

My pain. http://danielandrewlockwood.com/2015/06/16/82-gratitude-means/

26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able
    to make new ones?

I do not play “would you rather” games.

27. Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

“I am.” Now……challenge that.

28. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

You mean dying with regret? Nope.

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely
    upset? Does it really matter now?

I keep saying this, no regrets here.

30. What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so
    special?

The first days of summer vacation were always magical. They were a
    time of peace.

31. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate
    and alive?

Writing, writing, writing.

32. If not now, then when?

There is no when.

33. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

Again, I do not have, and will never have, regret.

34. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away
    feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

35. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars? Here’s why –

36. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

Hah! Easy, good gets along with itself, bad does not.

37. If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

My job would change.

38. Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you
    actually enjoy doing?

It’s not work if I enjoy doing it.

39. Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

40. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the
    soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

Anything that makes the world a better place is an obligation, therefore the urge is constant.

41. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow,
    who would you visit today?

I am already surrounded by those people.

42. Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10
    years to become extremely attractive or famous?

Hell no.

43. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Glad you asked. Truly living is embracing each day as if it’s your FIRST, full of wonder and absent of judgment. Being alive means living each day as if it’s your LAST which leads to a life of fear, pain, and indulgence.

44. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just
    go ahead and do what you know is right?

Always do the most what you will regret the least.

45. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to
    make a mistake?

We are afraid to REPEAT mistakes. The first one we never saw
    coming, remember?

46. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge
    you? Nothing at all; and here is the joke I say about it that very few get. “Your faith in my abilities is undermining my self-confidence.”

47. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own
    breathing?

Every night during meditation.

48. What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly
    expressed this love?

I love myself, and the one word definition of this action is called “discipline.”

49. In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day before that? Or the day before that?

I cannot answer what I am not yet witness to.

• Nikola Gjakovski

June 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

I’m really glad you share the answers on Facebook and here! However, the links are broken, just so you know.

• Daniel Lockwood

June 20, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Interesting, they are working for me.

2. Daniel Lockwood

June 20, 2015 at 7:43 PM

1. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

30.

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Never trying; Living with regret over those things we might have
    done is cancerous.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like
    and like so many things we don’t do?

Because we are convinced fear is something to avoid walking
    through.

4. When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than
    you’ve done?

I will have done everything I’ve said…… it will be 50/50

5. What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the
    world?

Teach the planet that life need not be difficult.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would
    make you rich?

Public speaking, motivation by way of showing where to start.

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what
    you are doing?

Like I said, I have no regrets. I follow my principles and values
    and actually have two lists written down.

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live
    your life differently?

I keep saying this; I have no regrets.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your
    life has taken?

I steer and maintain my ship but I cannot control the wind or
    current.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the
    right things?

I have no need to be right but I am interested in the right
    outcome.

11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and
    admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing
    she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified.
    What do you do?

Defend, defend, defend……even if it is someone I don’t like.

12. If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice,
    what would it be?

13. Would you break the law to save a loved one?

Depends on the law, depends on what I’d be saving them from.

14. Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?

Van Gogh

15. What’s something you know you do differently than most people?

I enjoy driving.

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone
    happy?

I will NOT judge others, sorry.

17. What one thing have you not done that you really want to
    do? What’s holding you back?

Again; no regrets here.

18. Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?

Yes, self-judgment.

19. If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you
    currently live in, where would you move and why?

Hmm, people say“If you don’t like the heat, get out of the kitchen.” This is a total crap philosophy. I say “If you don’t like the heat turn off the stove and open a window.” We have the power to change our environment rather than be forced from it.

20. Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you
    really believe it makes the elevator faster?

Never.

21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?

I do not play “would you rather?” games. They assume only two choices.

22. Why are you, you?

23. Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?

Since I don’t judge my friends I suppose so.

24. Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch
    with a good friend who lives right near you?

Losing touch with someone is a choice, when a friend moves, it isn’t.

25. What are you most grateful for?

My pain. http://danielandrewlockwood.com/2015/06/16/82-gratitude-means/

26. Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able
    to make new ones?

I do not play “would you rather?” games.

27. Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

“I am.”Now, challenge that.

28. Has your greatest fear ever come true?

You mean dying with regret? Nope.

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely
    upset? Does it really matter now?

I keep saying this, no regrets here.

30. What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so
    special?

The first days of summer vacation were always magical. They were a
    time of peace.

31. At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate
    and alive?

Writing, writing, writing. Then sharing, sharing sharing.

32. If not now, then when?

There is no when.

33. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?

Again, I have and will never have regret.

34. Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away
    feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?

35. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars? Here’s why –

36. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?

Hah! Easy, good gets along with itself, bad does not.

37. If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?

My job would change.

38. Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you
    actually enjoy doing?

It’s not work if I enjoy doing it.

39. Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?

40. When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the
    soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?

Anything that makes the world a better place is an obligation,
    therefore the urge is constant.

41. If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow,
    who would you visit today?

I am already surrounded by those people.

42. Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10
    years to become extremely attractive or famous?

Hell no.

43. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?

Glad you asked. Truly living is embracing each day as if it is your FIRST, full of wonder and absent of judgment. Being alive means living each day as if it’s your LAST which leads to a life of fear, pain, and indulgence.

44. When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just
    go ahead and do what you know is right?

Always do the most what you will regret the least.

45. If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to
    make a mistake?

We are afraid to REPEAT mistakes. The first one we never saw coming, remember?

46. What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge
    you?

47. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own
    breathing?

Every night during meditation.

48. What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly
    expressed this love?

I love myself, and the one word definition of this action is
    called “discipline.”

49. In 5 years from now, will
    you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day
    before that? Or the day before that?

I cannot answer what I am not yet witness to.

3. Daniel Lockwood

June 20, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Sorry for the re-post; I wanted to do some editing.

4. Chriss Pagani

June 21, 2015 at 1:36 AM

Very interesting list. Some of these questions seem designed to lead to trite answers, though. It’s easy to give the answer you are “supposed” to give, isn’t it? But I want to look at those more controversial ones:

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?
    Depends ENTIRELY on what it is that we’re talking about. What’s the potential up side and what is the potential down side? If potential negatives are minor, then never trying is worse. However, if you are thinking about leaping the straits of Juan DeFueca on a motorcycle, the down side is you could die, or other people could die trying to rescue you – and the only up side is that you’re famous for 5 minutes. In that case, failing is the far worse alternative.

Necessity and time. We all have to survive and that often means doing things we don’t like. Hopefully, there is also time left to do what we do like.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
    Worry is not required but awareness is, and so you can skip worry if you gain awareness.

11. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?
    You correct their misimpression of your friend. Clearly my respect and admiration was somewhat misplaced. It makes me sad to think anyone would give a different answer.

Become aware of the true nature of reality and practice non-attachment so you never have to do this again.

16. How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?
    Because people have their own hopes, needs and desires. We’re not stamped out of a cookie cutter, we’re each our own special brand of human.

21. Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
    With those choices I’d take worried genius. The joyful simpleton is happy but also more likely to be a burden on others. The genius might make a positive contribution to the world.

25. What are you most grateful for?
    The people in my life! They’re a Dream Team for sure. …Not a controversial question but I wanted to get that out there anyway. 🙂

Both are yuck, but I’d lose the old memories. If you can’t make new ones then your life is effectively over. You’re just existing, at that point.

27. Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
    Yes, but in the same way that a stopped clock is right twice a day. Many people think they know things, and sometimes they are right by pure coincidence. It is better to investigate and really know.

29. Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?
    Lends itself to the trite answer “no” but lets be honest; it depends on what it is. Did you go through a divorce 5 years ago? Then your life will never be the same and it will always matter. Upset because someone forgot your birthday, then no. Like I said, it depends.

33. If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
    As with some other answers, it’s completely dependent on what “it” is.

35. Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?
    Because religion is primarily a mechanism for social control. Every religion gives lip service to love, but it is seldom a primary consideration.

36. Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?
    If you believe in absolutes, then yes. However, much of life is highly relative. As they say, one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.

43. What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
    You. You are the difference. As it is said, Samsara and Nirvana are the same place, only your awareness makes the difference.

Because mistakes are not the ONLY way to learn and they also have consequences. Some are minor and inconsequential, and sometimes people pay for mistakes with their lives. The degree of concerns over making mistakes should be proportional to the potential consequences. If you are a neurosurgeon operating on me, I want you to be very mindful of making mistakes!

So that’s my commentary. Thank you for reading.