SELF-IMPROVEMENT

9 Signs That You’re An Old Soul

There is a special kind of person in our world who finds himself alone and isolated, almost since birth.

His solitary existence isn’t from a preference or an antisocial temperament – he is simply old. Old in heart, old in mind and old in soul, this person is an old soul who finds his outlook on life vastly different and more matured than those around him. As a result, the old soul lives his life internally, walking his own solitary path while the rest around him flock to follow another. Perhaps you’ve experienced this in your own life, or have witnessed it in another person? If so, this article is dedicated to you, in hopes that you will come to define yourself, or understand another better.

The “Old Soul”

Robert Frost, Eckhart Tolle and even Nick Jonas have been called them. Perhaps even you have? I did. Like many of them, this self discovery was made upon meeting Mateo Sol, who told me about his childhood as a precocious, intelligent boy who would befriend the teachers instead of the students, just because they were too different from him. As he related his inability to find interest in and connection to the people his age, I discovered that I felt the same, and still do.

If you have not yet discovered whether you’re an old soul, read some of the revealing signs below.

9 Signs You’re An Old Soul

1. You tend to be a solitary loner.

Because old souls are disinterested in the pursuits and interests of the people in their age groups, they find it dissatisfying to make friends with people they find it hard to relate to. This is one of the major problems Old Souls experience. The result is … old souls tend to find themselves alone a lot of the time. People just don’t cut it for them.

2. You love knowledge, wisdom and truth.

Yep … this seems a little grandiose and overly noble, but the old soul finds himself naturally gravitating towards the intellectual side of life. Old souls inherently understand that knowledge is power, wisdom is happiness and truth is freedom, so why not seek after those things? These pursuits are more meaningful to them than reading up on the latest gossip about Snooki’s latest boyfriend, or the latest football scores.

3. You’re spiritually inclined.

More emotional old souls tend to have sensitive and spiritual natures. Overcoming the confines of the ego, seeking enlightenment – as modeled by the Awakened Souls – and fostering love and peace are the main pursuits of these young-in-body Mother Teresa’s. To them it seems the wisest, most fulfilling use of time.

4. You understand the transience of life.

Old souls are frequently plagued with reminders of not only their own mortality, but that of everything and everyone around them. This makes the old soul weary and at times withdrawn, but wisely dictates the way they live their lives.

5. You’re thoughtful and introspective.

Old souls tend to think a lot … about everything. Their ability to reflect and learn from their actions and those of others is their greatest teacher in life. One reason why old souls feel so old at heart is because they have learnt so many lessons through their own thought processes, and possess so much insight into life situations from their ability to quietly and carefully observe what if going on around them.

6. You see the bigger picture.

Rarely do old souls get lost in the superficial details of getting useless degrees, job promotions, boob jobs and bigger TV’s. Old souls have the tendency to look at life from a birds eye view, seeing what is the most wise and meaningful way to approach life. When confronted with issues, old souls tend to see them as temporary and passing pains that merely serve to increase the amount of joy felt in the future. Consequently, old souls tend to have placid, stable natures as a result of their approach to life.

7. You aren’t materialistic.

Wealth, status, fame, and the latest version of iPhone … they just bore old souls. The old soul doesn’t see the purpose of pursuing things that can be easily taken away from them. Additionally, old souls have little time and interest for the short-lived things in life, as they bring little meaning or long lasting fulfillment for them.

8. You were a strange, socially maladaptive kid.

This is not always the case, but many old souls exhibit odd signs of maturity at young ages. Often, these children are labelled as being “precocious”, “introverted”, or “rebellious”, failing to fit into the mainstream behaviors. Usually, these children are extremely inquisitive and intelligent, seeing the purposelessness of many things their teachers, parents and peers say and do, and either passively or aggressively resisting them. If you can talk to your child like he/she’s an adult – you’ve probably got an old soul on your hands.

9. You just “feel” old.

Before putting a name to what I felt, I experienced certain sensations of simply being an “old person” inside. The feelings that accompany being an old soul are usually: a feeling of world wariness, mental tiredness, watchful patience, and detached calmness. Unfortunately, this can often be perceived as being aloof and cold, which is only one of many Old Soul Myths.

Just as some old people describe themselves as being “young at heart”, so too can young people be “old at heart”.

Are you an old soul?  I’d love to hear your stories below!

Originally written by Aletheia Luna and published on Loner Wolf

1. Abdullah Mohammed Faisal

May 1, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Yes 9 guesses are tolally right for me and I am 45. But my thought was like those when I was 18

2. Healing Lotus

May 15, 2016 at 9:36 PM

I am very concerned about my Granddaughter. I know I am an old soul and knew so when I myself was about 4 or 5. Just didn’t know how to label it. I thought I was depressed and was sad for no reason. My parents were wealthy and it embarrassed me when they would flaunt it, even at that age. Now I see the same things I saw in myself in my Granddaughter and don’t know what to do. I have no daughters. My Son and wife want to take her to a shrink, but promised no meds. Do you have any advice? I sure would appreciate any. Thanks, and Blessings.

• Robert

October 23, 2016 at 4:43 PM

Speaking as an alleged “old soul”…

I would only concern my self with affirming her intuition; as means to navigate the well-intended (alleged) mistakes and arrogant presumption of her parents.

I believe an old school need only have the truth of their [gifts] affirmed; rather than be protected from the ignorant invasive actions of others.

I know that I learned a LOT by triangulating actual truth via the misconceptions of psychiatric professionals.
      (Assuming that my alleged gift for instantly perceiving the truth of any matter the moment a false premiss in regards to it is presented… is a the result of my being an “old soul” and thus a trait common amongst “us”)

If I had my life to live over again… that’s the only thing I’d wish for:
      Someone to affirm the truth of my alleged gifts.
      Sharing articles like this…
      All an “old soul” needs is to know what they are.

• Robin

October 29, 2016 at 7:57 AM

To Robert,
        Intuitively you already know. Is it really important to validate this.
        Seek balance inside of yourself and come to understand that all the memories of you and of your all of your ancestors are within you. DNA holds the physical stories and when we find true balance in the still silences of our mind instinctively the knowledge is our confirmation.
        We as humans are only part of a much more ancient species than the world thinks. And furthermore you are on the verge of clarity. And when it comes as a tidal wave of truth you will know. Accept it and do and be what you are.

• Robert

November 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Right on.

^ ^

• isaiah

January 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM

Make sure no meds, her soul will be suppressed . Amd she will be zombified..
      Let her increase this way in a way she wants..
      Old souls like free will..

• Lo

May 23, 2017 at 4:37 AM

Get her into to art! That is a great way to express feelings without giving oneself away.

• Joan-Ann

May 27, 2017 at 6:05 PM

Best advice in my opinion. Art allowed me to put everything I didn’t understand about everything into something physical. Especially as a child this came natural to me. My music, writings, paintings and all the stuff i made didn’t judge me. They didn’t tell me that I was wrong for being different. They taught me a lot about myself and especially now I am 22.. they give me insight in my life and my head that no one will ever give me.

3. ethel

December 6, 2016 at 9:48 AM

well said, i am one of old soul. i am born as taurusian – april zodiac sign and year under ox. i love to follow my signs and i know deep in with me i can see some future of my life, sometimes deja vu.

i love old music and i rather go to church to seek more power thru faith and guidance.
    my ways always follow government rules “abide the law” and if i am scolded by other people i am easily turn down and feel like i am a broken glass. i am 31 years old but i rather choice my path what i am today. that’s why I am Certified Old Soul.

4. Samath Oung

May 26, 2017 at 10:25 PM

I always felt like an old soul; I use to have ancient re-occurring dreams about Egypt when I was kid. Something about burying a love one, possibly a wife or some sibling. I felt anguish as if I was almost responsible and would wake up in tears. It was really weird for me. I remember dreaming the same dream at least 8 times in my youth; who knows how many times I actually did. There were other dreams and notions that I do not recall but I know I’ve experienced the emotion. All 9 characteristics have undoubtedly resembles my persona to the tee. Although I am not considered to be remarkably different or anti-social, I have my genuine genius moments and divine connection with the all encompassing nature of universe, planetary bodies, channels and enlightenment in sublime ways. I have also seen UFOs and what some people would call the Moth man (man with wings). This was at different times in my mid-teens; and has always left a resounding impression that things for me were a little odd and required explaining. I have always been heavily inclined to seek truth, wisdom and spiritual transcendence. I also have notions that our human body, spirituality and intellect are evolving with our universe and that we as beings will be able to tap-in, expand our understanding; to not only embrace such antiquity but also harness the power of unity and Oneness.

5. Val

May 27, 2017 at 10:26 PM

I am an old soul. All of the traits written about fit me to a tee. But I didn’t recognize it until my late fifties. I always thought I was out of step because I was smart. My iq was over 140. A few years ago I just started feeling comfortable in my body, confidence in my actions, and sureness in my decisions. I love myself at this age! I finally feel at home with me.

6. Shailesh Prajapati

May 29, 2017 at 4:06 PM

Well hello everyone!! I would like to share something very interesting about myself and my life.As i child i was always fond of love and liked if someone loved me from their heart , also i had very much affection and empathy towards the sufferings of people emotionally as well as physically (or materialistic).Now , as I have turned 20 , I have got that spiritual enlightenment and now i feel more empowered emotionally , also after being drawn towards spiritual enlightenment I have experienced many outwardly experiences like clairvoyance and also many insights revealing my future life to me , also I have experienced some really strange things like I actually travelled into my past lives and also i feel so much connected to the thoughts and emotions of people even more noe , like just by looking at them i can get a glimpse about their life ithat is how their life have been since birth and what would it be like in future .Also i can tell you the deepest of secrets lying inside them which they try to hide from everyone.