A Man’s Facebook Post About Traffic Stop Goes Viral

Let me give you a FREE GIFT!

And many more in the upcoming weeks

A man’s Facebook post about a recent traffic stop is going viral.

Steven Hildreth Jr. was pulled over by the Tucson Police Department for a broken headlight. When the officer asked if he had any weapons, he told him he is a concealed carry permit holder and had a gun on his right hip.

Because his wallet was in his back-right pocket, the officer needed to disarm him to check his ID.

Hildreth wrote about his experience with the officer and posted it to his Facebook page.

Hildreth’s Facebook post has been shared more than 365,000 times.

Let me give you a FREE GIFT!

And many more in the upcoming weeks

So, I’m driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I’m already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I’m doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

“Yes, sir. I’m a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket.”

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I’m running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can’t unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I’m running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I’m with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he’s got me on at least two infractions. I’m thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. “Because you were cool with us and didn’t give us grief, I’m just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible.”

I smile. “Thank you, sir.”

I’m a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn’t be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe…just maybe…that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they’re not out to get you.

I’d like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn’t be wearing a badge. I’d like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.

#BlueLivesMatter #AllLivesMatter

Originally published on: Fox61

1. Linda Hernandez

July 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM

I read thru your message…and from what u say.what that policeman..did when he stopped the black guy..was right?? how did the black guy disrespect the officer..he told him he had a concealed weapon for which he was registered to carry..but the officer i believe used excessive force in shooting a man who was strapped in his car seat..four times..how is this black man a menace to the cop? some cops are just to eager beaver to shoot people and ask questions later..there is too much violence going on..retaliation for each shooting..this has to stop..both on the side of the cops and black people…..

• Reggae

September 19, 2016 at 4:19 PM

The majority of cops are good. This guy is pointing that out. There’s still some bad ones out there. We know that. But this guy is pointing out a couple of the good ones, which are by far, the majority.

• John Andrews

June 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM

Seems you missed the whole point of his post. thats sad.

2. Robert Slawinski

July 12, 2016 at 8:42 PM

that is cute, but nothing, i repead NOTHING justifies punching woman, girl, kid on the face, step on the head, drag them on the ground by their hair, and i’m not talking even about policeman pulling out his gun.

3. brett

July 13, 2016 at 3:18 PM

I’m sorry but if you weren’t a national guard and it was 2 other officers shit may of gone a bit different.

Well done you had some nice officers it happens occasionally but the majority of these police are power hungry racists especially in america.

In london you are 28 times more likely to be stopped and searched if you are a black person.. its time this changed.

• dap siju

July 15, 2016 at 4:23 PM

I also live in London and I know we blacks are more likely to stab or shoot each other more than any other ethnic group. I have lived in fulham for 17yrs and I have only been stopped and searched twice, the first time was by a black officer. I am glad the police do stop and search these young kids that go around killing each other. I think instead of blaming British police we blacks should start looking in the mirror and stop the violence and killings that is so endemic in our community. With regards to the police killings in America, UK police force are like angels. America is a Country of hate and the capital of racism in the World, no other Place comes close, with the exception of the old South Africa. God bless the UK for its humane ways.

4. Ali

July 14, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Yes, respect is the key. Realizing that police put themselves in dangerous situations every day and that they must be especially cautious. People rush to judgement without all the facts. If they would contain their anger and cooperate the consequences might be different. When a stray dog approaches people may pet it if it is calm; however, if the dog is snarling, showing it’s teeth and barking the dog must be treated as a threat. There is too much anger and hate.

5. Sam

July 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Maybe you need to be reminded of Abner Loiuma. Last time I checked sodimizing a man with a broom handle is not police protocol.

6. deborah byington

July 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM

dealing with a police officer should be as simple as walking across the street. 1 we stop. 2 we look 3 we listen . to the police officer , we respect them and we get respect.

7. LT

September 19, 2016 at 6:17 AM

It’s easy to generalize certain situations and behaviors based on one’s personal encounters, however, such is not the same for everyone.

You had an encounter with two police officers who happened to keep calm and perform their duty professional ly; this is not the same case for everyone. I’m always respectful, yet I’ve had both “easy” encounters with law enforcement and encounters with belligerent officers. My brothers and father have been pulled over while driving the speed limit in certain towns and neighborhoods because they apparently look suspicious driving nice cars. Neither have ever committed a crime or disrespected an officer…heck, my dad is a veteran.

So, no, your experience, while positive, does not negate other’s experiences. There are good officers and there are bad officers. I applaud those who do their job well, but those who don’t need reprimanding.

8. harris

October 17, 2016 at 8:45 AM

yes is it very clear that unless you act absolutely right the nervous and poorly trained officer might shoot you, but if you treat them like you would any other thug and do exactly like they say while showing the respect their fragile egos and frightened being needs, you might get out of the situation without a beatdown or shot.

9. Brenda Houghton

October 17, 2016 at 8:52 AM

I totally understand your story, and I think it’s great that you are trying to make a difference in society by sharing your story. I commend you…and thank you for protecting our country by being in the armed forces. God Bless you!