Nothing is worse than lying awake at night, willing your brain to shut down so you can rest. Warm milk, lavender oil, and counting sheep — we’ve all tried them. But the new solution could be simply learning to breathe.
Related: The Importance Of Proper Breathing Is Underrated: 5 Ways To Breathe Properly
What is it?
The 4-7-8 breathing technique was pioneered Dr. Andrew Weill from Arizona, who describes the yoga-inspired method as “utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.”
Dr.Weill claims that 4-7-8 breathing can help people fall asleep in just 60 seconds by acting as a “natural tranquiliser for the nervous system” that reduces stress and tension in the body.
How do you do it?
1. Before you begin, place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just above your teeth and keep it there throughout the exercise.
Related: This Is Why You Should ALWAYS Sleep on Your Left Side (Backed by Science)
2. Exhale completely through your mouth quite forcefully so you make a “whoosh” sound.
3. Close your mouth and inhale quietly and softly through your nose for a mental count of four.
4. Hold your breath and count to seven.
5. Next, exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight seconds in one large breath.
6. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.
Related: Boil Bananas Before Bed, Drink The Liquid And You Will Not Believe What Happens To Your Sleep!
Remember: All inhaling breaths must be quiet and through your nose and all exhaling breaths must be loud and through your mouth.
How does it help?
- It takes on more oxygen relaxes the parasympathetic nervous system and promotes a state of calmness.
- It helps rebalance the nervous system which can become over stimulated during times of stress.
- It helps you connect with your body and your breathing and distract you from everyday thoughts that can prevent you from sleeping.
Originally taken from Yahoo