“The lion doesn’t turn around when the small dog barks.” – African Proverb.
Have you been often accused of being intimidating? People might judge you for what you are without knowing about you or your life. Your personality today, is a result of the experiences you have gone through in the past. Because of that your attitude towards life has become strong and tough. Others may not like the way you are but that should not bother you. You should not be sorry for who you are.
Marked by tension, your life has seen many ups and downs in your career and relationships. This has transformed you to an independent and stronger person. Therefore you do not easily come off as soft to people anymore.
Sometimes you are misunderstood as rude and mean for the way you behave and react around others. What most people fail to see is your soft side behind this garb of the tough one. People who come across as intimidating are actually kind in nature and have a big heart.
Here are 30 things people often mistake as ‘intimidating’ but you actually have self-respect now:
1. You do not accept ‘sorry’ at face-value. They must prove it.
2. Self-love is your A-game; making your toxicity levels hit an all-time low.
3. You are not the referee. Lannisters pay their own debts, and you don’t die for others. You can hold on to your mental health, while the world struts on the Highway to Hell.
4. You drop negativity like it’s hot. Your ears aren’t dedicated to a never-ending sob story.
5. Cold wars are harmful. While you know that the ‘adult’ thing to do is talk things out, sometimes you can take a rain check; especially when the other person is a dormant volcano.
6. Living life on your own terms. Where you go, what you do, who you love, is nobody else’s business.
7. You don’t have to be available 24/7. You are not a robot, and the world isn’t going to die over some unanswered messages. Don’t push yourself, love.
8. You can choose to bail. Parties are not mandatory, and neither is your presence. If you want to curl into a ball and watch the 170th re-run of F.R.I.E.N.D.S, then you do just that.
9. You are the protagonist. Rewrite the page where somebody speaks your story wrong. Give them the correct version.
10. What somebody expects of you is their own business. Don’t break your spine climbing the walls they have built for you.
11. People grow. Don’t upbraid yourself for having different principles than your 10-year-old self.
12. Don’t get into fights on social media. Idiots are aplenty. Save your stamina.
13. Choosing to argue on platforms, because you cannot afford silence.
14. Trimming your friends’ circle. Delete people who don’t make you happy.
15. You don’t treat alcohol as the solution to your problems.
16. You don’t find an escape in any form of addiction. Especially, the ones that are harmful to your health.
17. Not trying to fit into the ‘trends’. If somebody wants to wear bell-bottoms, they can go ahead. You will stick to your pajamas if you please.
18. Taking control of your social media. Not letting the judgment of others affect what goes into your profile.
19. Letting your imagination flow, and not caring about how others perceive it.
20. Understanding that ‘consent’ isn’t a myth. You refuse anything you don’t want and stick to it.
21. Nobody can always have a proper reply. You can say “can’t think of anything” when that is the case. You don’t always have to “sound intelligent”.
22. You don’t allow other people to control your body. You wear whatever you want, however it pleases you. They may call you names, or rate your physique, but it does not affect who you are.
23. You have learned how to be kinder to people, and not using them as punching bags.
24. You don’t labor to coax love out of every living thing. Some people may not like you, and that is perfectly human. Even Jesus had a few haters.
25. Being single is no longer something that makes you embarrassed. You know it’s either not meant for you, or a truck ran over your Prince Charming.
26. You become responsible for your own life. Success isn’t going to walk over to you and introduce itself. You must chase it through high and low.
27. You don’t fight for people who wouldn’t kill for you.
28. You don’t feel sorry for yourself all the time. You are a warrior, not the child of Pity.
29. You can rectify your mistakes now, make better to-do lists, get more things done, and not take Time for granted. You’re an adult who doesn’t sit on their haunches and watch life pass by.
30. You don’t see your life through borrowed perspectives. You are your own person.