I’ve always giggled (not to mention that I’ve never listened) when my granny told me to wear jacket, or to avoid sitting with bare as$ on a cold cement… but as time goes by, I see that many of the things we’re being told when we were young become general truth later on. And no, I still fight war with my granny to resist eating a desert!
Life takes us on hell of a journey and I believe it’s in the nature of things to walk on a similar path that leads us on an exceptional journey. A path of thorns and leaves, but mainly created to teach us a thing or two… or forty.
Generations do evolve, yes, but some lessons are just inevitable, and you will find yourself in many, if not all. (depends on your age)
So here are the top 40 things every person should know by the age of 40:
1. Learning a new language is always a good idea
2. It doesn’t really matter what people think of you
3. Nothing beats a good night’s sleep
4. It’s easiest just to tell a girl you like her
5. Your social circle has become smaller and smaller – and for the better
6. A night alone, or with a loved one, beats “hitting the town” almost every time
7. You’ve had at least one great love that took some time to get over
8. You’ll learn to distinguish when to call it a night (learned through a LOT of experience)
9. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age—and some money set aside to help fund it
10. You’ve experienced at least one tragedy, unfortunately
11. How to change a flat tire (it will definitely catch you one day)
12. You’ve fought for something bigger than yourself…by donating money, giving time, etc.
13. Learn to cook for yourself
14. Start saving.
15. Fashion sense matters as much as the color of your toilet’s lid
16. You’ve (hopefully) realized the inevitability of death – and seek to live to the fullest
17. If you’re not a “people person,” you’ll (probably) never be one
18. Fatty foods seem to have an immediate bloating effect
19. Exercise is a wonderful antidote to just about anything
20. A good read is better than any movie
21. The word “success” takes on much, much less meaning
22. “Intimacy” is beautiful in moderation…and when you’re in love
23. The youngsters look to you for advice more often – for better or worse
24. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally
25. 99 percent of the stuff learned in college is not – and never will be – an important part of your life
26. Do not apologize for something that isn’t your fault
27. Marijuana (aka, “pot”)…you either enjoy the occasional hit, or you absolutely refuse
28. Your internal bull**** meter has been finely-tuned, or at least received a tune-up
29. Talking to people on the phone is limited to (a) co-workers or (b) family – about 99 percent of the time
30. Being “uninvited” to something can feel really, really good
31. Formal work events almost always suck
32. Playing videogames, computer games, and/or other games are still really fun…or not
33. Not having “a plan” has been totally worth it…or the “plan” has yielded a good life
34. Incoming phone calls, e-mails, and other communications are looked upon with disdain
35. Taking the time to learn something new is almost always stoked by passion, not persuasion
36. Arguing with someone is: (a) pointless, (b) a waste of energy, and (c) “isn’t my favorite show on right now?”
37. You’ve either wished to travel the world, don’t care, or have obtained a passport
38. Come to realize that hangovers are both miserable and completely avoidable
39. The “Snooze” button looks really, really good from Monday through Friday…maybe even Saturday and Sunday…
40. Realized that 40 is still young…and you’ve got plenty left in the tank – and you’re grateful for that.
Sources used: Power of Positivity
Become a VIP member now and start FREE Trial. The VIP Content will shift your life 180 degrees almost instantly!
You’ll be able to read the best articles online from self-help coaches around the world, access life-changing courses and if you join now, you'll get the 7 Days Personalized Transformation Challenge straight to your mailbox! If you don’t want to be happier, fulfilled, and wealthy in every sphere of your life the VIP membership is not for you!