“Chronic anxiety is a state more undesirable than any other, and we will try almost any manoeuvre to eliminate it,” wrote Robert E. Neale in The Art of Dying.
Anxiety is, indeed, a miserable affliction. However, it also lives in some of the most wonderful people in the world. People with anxiety also tend to be very sensitive people. Their experiences let them appreciate a lot of the things that many others would take for granted. They also tend to have the highest IQs to boot. People often do fall for the more anxious people.
But what are the things you need to be aware of when it comes to anxiety? Here’s a list to help you truly be that pillar of support for your loved ones.
1. Learn when to leave them alone.
2. Appreciate the little things and know that they will appreciate you for your quirks more than anyone else.
3. Expect our bond to run deep and grow quickly. Once you are in their inner circle, you are in for life.
4. You will have to make all the plans. Decisiveness is not their strong point.
5. Try to learn to listen to them rather than offering advices.
6. Expect to endure hundreds of new attempts at anxiety management techniques; essential oils, adult coloring books, acupuncture.
7. Give reassurance more than what you give to other people. Anxious people really need it the most.
8. Expect reason to be powerless against anxiety. This is true for even the most logical of anxious people.
9. Expect to learn some deep breathing exercises. Walk your partner through them in times of trouble. These are amazingly effective.
10. Expect to communicate honestly. Your partner will sense if you are holding back. This will add to their anxiety.
11. Expect some weird sleep patterns. Anxiety often goes hand in hand with insomnia and other sleep disorders.
12. Expect lots of lists and itineraries. Preparation helps to soothe us. Please don’t try to stray from the plan. Follow the list!
13. Expect to provide stability rather than drama. They don’t like to do the on-and-off thing. They need a partner they can depend on.
14. Expect to encounter problems that you can’t solve for us. Learn to be okay with that. You can’t protect them from everything in life.
15. Expect to encourage your partner to engage in self-care. Explain that it is not the same thing as being lazy or self-indulgent. Health is just as important as accomplishments.
16. Expect to make your own self-care a priority. Your well-being is important, too.
“Don’t worry if people think you’re crazy. You are crazy. You have that kind of intoxicating insanity that lets other people dream outside of the lines and become who they’re destined to be,” wrote Jennifer Elisabeth.
Your partner’s anxiety may seem insane to you at times. However, this is only one part of their being. Love them nonetheless.
Must-Read: Don’t Ignore These 4 Symptoms Of Chronic Anxiety!